Skip to main content

Hello Everyone!
I am a new owner of a CS Smokette! I am smoking my first butt and I am waiting for it to get ready! I put it on at midnight at 220 and I have now raised the temp to 225. It is at 152 and I still have a ways to go! It sure was nice to get to sleep through the night and not have to check on the charcoal or water! I STILL got up to make sure it was still smoking! It is cold here believe it or not so the windows are shut and I cannot smell it inside! NO, I have not opened the door to peek in BUT I HAVE been tempted so I just keep reading the posts on the site! hehehehehe
I have experience smoking with charcoal and gas so this is a real treat! I love the fact it is insulated which will be really awesome in the winter especially when it is in the low teens here!
This site is awesome just really need to learn how to do the searches so I don't have to keep asking stupid and repetative questions! I am beginning to question if I should have gotten the Ameri Q as I do think this is going to be addictive!!! heheheehehe

Good Luck and thanks for the awesome Forum!!!
Hello to all! I am a month long owner of a new AmeriQue. I have been reading the forum for some time now and really appreciate all the help and advice from everyone. Have really learned a lot here. So far I have smoked the following:
Baby back ribs, 3 times
Beef short ribs
Chicken quarters, 2 times
Pastrami
Deer Backstrap
Elk roast

So far everything has turned out great and I have been having a blast using and getting to know my AmeriQue.

Good luck to all and thanks so much for all the info from this forum.
As I have learned, keep the door closed and don't peek!
My names Brian, live in Kansas City MO. Haven't been smoking very long, kind of a rookie. I used a basic brinkmann setup until that crapped out on me, currently own two Weber grills and am looking to purchase a barrel style smoker soon. Hope to learn alot on here and get some good recipes, who knows maybe i'll even be able to contribute.
Howdy! Big Grin Phil Foreman from Southeastern Ohio. I was out looking for information on nitrites and nitrates for one of our buddies using TenderQuick for his pork loin ham and darned if I didn't end up here! Glad I did too. Terrific site you got here. Somebody with horsepower sees this I'd like to link your site to ours. We are small, do all sorts of cooking. Most of it out of doors. We are also hunters, fishers, campers, but mostly cooks. I'll be a regular here if you don't mind. I like to swap information and I like to ask lots of questions. I do not do any competition cooking but have been published in a half dozen cook books and have a little over a hundred personally developed recipes of all varieties that I'm happy and willing to share. With hunting season just around the corner I suspect there will be a lot of sausage, ham, bacon, and backstrap recipes on here pretty soon! I'd like to give you all a friendly invitation to come visit me and my buddies at Ohio Camp Cooks too. Like I said, we are small, but we are friendly and we are free. Maybe there is already something on our forums that will do somebody here some good. You are welcome to it of course.
Hello, my name is Chris. I've been lurking here for a while without a CS smoker. Now, I've registered, have a smokette, but am on a diet...so no pics of any food until the battle of the bulge is won once again.(from 375 to around 235 at 6'7"). Currently at 314.

Then its the grand journey back to around 265. Smoke will fly all the way too!!
Hey Now! Got my 08 for Christmas in 06. Now I am about to buy a FEC and start doing comps in 2008. I read the full lable and owners manual when I got my 08. I have only 1 problem. No where in there does it say: cooking with cookshack is as addictive as cocaine. I can't stop using it. But the good thing is. This is the one addiction my wife dosen't mind I have. LOL.
hello to one and all,i,m retired all of 4 yrs. self proclaimed pro backyard BBQ king. well so my wifes thinks i claim the title anyway.we will be entering our first compitition cook off this month.THE SECOUND ANNUAL DIAMOND STATE BBQ CHAMPIONSHIP.? WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THE MEAT THAT IS COOKED.
Hello Everyone,

My name is Pat and it is great to be here! I live in the northwest and love game meat. I am an avid bow hunter and can't wait to try out my new smokette with the Elk I got last month. I am also excited about learning as much as possible about smoking meat from you all.

thanks,
Pat
Welcome, Pat.

Whitetail bow season just came in here 10-1, and runs through february. Our only herd of Elk is imported from Rocky mountains and on the Spring River 50 miles north of here, or so. The lucky few get their name drawn and are bestowed with a special permit for 1, to be taken usually only on 1 predetermined weekend. Oh well, we have plenty of whitetail deer.

That Smokette is marvelous with jerky and roasts!

Cool
Razzer Greetings!. I've posted a couple things but haven't introduced myself. My names Corky & I'm an OTR trucker from western MN.Don't have much time at home so I went with the cookshack SM008 to replace my WSM. I love my Webers, but its a time thing......which I don't have much of. Bought the Smokette & stand at Cabelas & the cover from cookshsck. I have the smokette & cover but the stand just arrived at Cabelas so next time home a trip to Rogers & I'm good to go. Time to go to work.......C-YA!
Hello to fellow Q'rs from Olympia, Washington. Been grilling for about 35 years now, but only smokin' for about 1 year now so I guess I am still considered a newbie. Started out with a charcoal/water unit with pretty good results, but got tired of the constant babysitting that type of unit requires. After quizing local BBQ places and finding electricity is often used as their fuel source, I got over my feeling that "real fire" was needed for good food. I've had my Amerique for 6 months now and love it !!!! - THANKS to the folks at Cookshack for producing it - I use that 'hold' feature a lot - just set it & forget it till we get home (sometimes late). This forum is just great! Personal details = being an architect with a wonderful little wife and 2 grown children that like to visit me when I "fire-up" the Amerique.
Last edited by olysmokes
55 is the speed to drive,when it comes to smokers.I love mine,let me count the ways:
April 15,2006,We meet for the 1st time.
She arrived from cookshack via air mail.
There she was.All decked out in her stainless
steel outfit,teasing me as if to say"C'mon,let's get hot" After reading so much about her,I finally figured out what she needed.My Butt. All I could think was "Nice Rack" I seasoned and placed a 4 lb pork butt.
She got hot.Real hot,like 175F. after 6 hrs,she couldn't take anymore.I gave her a break,and removed my butt. OMG. Tender,juicy flavourful,of course I new this was going to be a life long relationship.Oh sure,I wonder what it would be like to have a newer,bigger built model,but she's a perfect fit. My 55 keeps me alive.
Just another love story,of a man,and his smoker.

Big Jim McBob.
ok folks i did it after asking loads of questions, our team made it through our FIRST BBQ CHAMPIONSHIP. lol it was a hugh learning and lasting experience.just when you think you know what you are doing, you get your tongs slaped by no other then ( JACK ) of jacks fires house gril also known from the TVFOOD NETWORK. we also had the pleasure of meeting the man known as tuffy. they were both very very helpfull and gave us loads of help and imformations. it was nerve wrecking and fun , our chickin thighs and ribs didnt do well at all. out butts and briskit did ok. all thanks go out to JACK, who if you had been looking on may have lost time on his own BBQ. to give us a hand. without his help we would have been a total flop.we also learned that this was probably one of the friendliest activities we have ever had the pleasure of perticipating in. thanks to everyone in this cookshack forum. glad to be apart of something as great as cookshack. THANKS TO EVERYONE ON COOKSHACK.
JACK IF YOU AND TUFFY READ THIS WE REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE. I HOPE TO MEET UP AGAIN SOMETIME.

SMOKEN DIM BONES ( DONALD ).
A big Wyoming HOWDY to you all! I am a transplant to the rockies of almost 3 decades. Fish, hunt, horses and mules. Did I mention smoking meat? No not horses and mules, silly! I did buy a smokette a week ago and love it. Still learning to use it as it differs from my other smoke breathing beasts I've had quite a bit. Did 3 Cornish Hens at 0 degrees last night with 6500' elevation and no problems at all. Would love to hear from you folks that smoke game meat. That is about all we have eaten for 20+ years. All apprieciated!
Hello all. My name is Amy Hall. I am currently living in Wichita Falls, Texas. I am pretty much a country person...not really the music but in life. I am an elementary computer teacher and coach. My loves are teaching, coaching, and outdoors...give me a line and I'll try to catch it...give me a gun and I'll try to shoot it.

Amy
Hey all,
O M G here. I've been following for a while, and posted a couple times a couple years ago.
Starting to get serious about given up the corporate life and q'n for a livin.

I am relly learning a lot from everyone. It's like living through all the experience of thousands of years of barbecue and being ablre to learn from all of it.

Hat's off to all!
Happy New Year everyone. My name is Mark and I am from Tulsa Oklahoma. I have been using a Weber Smokey Mountain for a few years. Before that I was using an offset. I just placed my order for a Smokette SM009 yesterday and can hardly wait.

My favorite to que ? Pulled pork all the way.
OK been lurking for three years. Happened on this site and bought a smokette. Spend winters in Quartzsite, Az in an RV coop. Summers on the road mostly in Lockeport, NS. Getting older so we bought a place in Eagle Lake, CA. Will smoke those Eagle Lake trout. In Q smoking so popular I'm going to get a 050 and take the smokette to eagle lake. Thanks for all the help I wish I'd done this years ago.
Welcome everyone.

Find the lessons for new users and the 101's and go by those, not the CS cookbook.

No need for water. Put 2 chunks of wood in the woodbox, close the door, turn it up full blast for 6-8 hours. Cook a big fatty pork butt to 195* the next day.

Have fun, experiment, take good notes!

Cool
Thanks GLH. I shoulda come back and read more before diving in, but here's where I'm at now:

I followed the guide & seasoned with hickory chips & a bowl of water for 5 hours. Then after it cooled off, I put on 16 lbs of pork butt. It has been smoking for 2 1/2 hours now at 225, figuring it'll take 12-13 hours.

Then I read in the cook book 160 degrees for 8 hours. Now I'm thinking about dropping the temp to around 190.
Throw that cookbook away!!!

Leave it on 225* and cook it until the meat temp reaches 195*, without opening the door.

Are you using wood chips? You should be using wood chunks. Chips will burn up quickly and are OK for getting alot of smoke on meat fast for a cut that won't be in long. The CookShack smokers are designed to be used with chunks. They will give a smoke truer to logs in a big offset or similar, and last longer.

Your 8 pound butts will take at least 12 hours at 225*, to get to 195*.

Don't worry about the manual and the cookbook. I wish they would update them.

Except for introductions, all this correspondence should be on an appropriate thread, or start a new one. Other folks can then find it easier and maybe learn from it.

Again, find the 101's and the 'lessons for new users', and go by them.

Cool
Santa brought me a 009 smokette so I have since joined the forum. Times like these I wish I had more brain cells left to take in all this info. Great site. I have already done two butts, spare ribs, briskett, venison hine quarter,rockfish (and I have a good smoked rock fish spread recipe I stole frome my father inlaw may he RIP). Looking forward to jerkey, turkey,salmon ect. Not sure I can afford a new wardrobe. So got to slow down. A Hokie that lives in the Northern Neck of Va and love to rock fish an hunt. Also Just got a cabin In Craig County Near Blacksburg.
Not sure how I managed to not find this forum sooner...better late than never I guess. Looks like a great place with a lot of folks willing to share what they know. Lovin' it.

As for me, been around and in the restaurant biz more than once. Made my share of mistakes & then some. May do so again Smiler

I have a little experience with BBQ, mostly through a competition team I cook with...but have been involved with some pretty large affairs. A few years ago we cooked for a local Project Graduation fundraiser & had over 500 butts and hams on the pits at one time. All presold. At the last BBQ on the River festival we did over 6000 lbs of meat in three days...mostly butts, ribs & chickens. We did a few shoulders and a whole hog, but just for the competition end of it as this festival is basically a charity event. We did place second in whole hog and third in ribs out of about 80 competitors. All cooked by burning hickory and shoveling coals into the pits....relating this not to brag as I am a minor player, hardly the pitmaster.

The above experiences are why I am here.

I am tired.

Of shoveling coals.

All night.

While watching our competitors "set it and forget it" and go to the house to sleep. Hello.

Cookshack, Traeger, Southern Pride, Ole Hickory and I am sure others. All looks good to me at this point. There is a limit to how long I can go without sleep while shoveling coals and drinking beer...apparently about 5 days Cool

I am at a point in life where I am sick to death of corporate America & looking to go out on my own again. Scary but true. The food biz has always attracted me & I love to Q...don't mind working, but at my age tending a pit the old fashioned way is just not an option. I am looking hard at the options I see here.

My long-winded way of introducing myself. I hope to be able to contribute as much as I have already learned here. Nice bunch!
Sparky47 here...just received my 009 this month and have enjoyed it. Graduated from a Brinkman electric water smoker to the Cookshack. WOW! what a awesome smoker. I didn't know stuff could taste this good. The wife is always asking when I'm going to put more meat in the smoker. Glad to be here
Hi All,
I'm from South Dakota where the winters can get "chilly". I have two Masterbuildt 7 in 1 propane water smokers. I have been looking for a new smoker and thought a propane water smoker was the only way to go...I am greatly interested in the FEC100 as I have two annual Family gatherings (Mine and my better halfs) that I smoke for about 100 people at each event and the 2 Masterbuilts just doesn't cut the mustard. Do any of you have the FEC100? If so let me know how you like it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.